Grants-in-Aid of Research Program
Emily B. Shane Memorial AwardPlease contact the Awards Committee Chair if more information is required
F.G. Wood Memorial Scholarship Award
Frederic Fairfield Memorial Award
J. Stephen Leatherwood Memorial Award
John E. Heyning Research Award
John R. Twiss Jr. Award
Kenneth S. Norris Lifetime Achievement AwardNominees for the Norris award are provided by the Society’s President, President-elect, Scientific Advisors Committee Chair, and journal Editor. The award recipient is to be selected from this group by vote of the Board of Governors of the Society and the Board of Associate Editors of Marine Mammal Science.
Previous Norris award winners include:
- 2015 – Dr. James Mead
- 2013 – Dr. Ian Stirling
- 2011 – Dr. William F. Perrin
- 2009 – Dr. Sam H. Ridgway
- 2007 – Dr. Toshio Kasuya
- 2005 – Dr. Gerald L. Kooyman
Robin Best Memorial Award
- John G. Shedd Aquarium Award for Best overall student presentation
- Best Doctoral1 student oral presentation
- Best Pre-Doctoral2 student oral presentation
- Best Doctoral student poster
- Best Pre-Doctoral student poster
Criteria for consideration: student must be enrolled and in good standing in a degree granting program (undergraduate or graduate) at a recognized college or university. A photocopy of the student author’s validated student ID must accompany the student’s conference registration form.
Single or multiple authorship submissions will be considered for the student award competition. However, the following criteria must be met for multiple author submissions :
- The competing student MUST be the first author.
- The student’s academic supervisor must email the Scientific Program Committee to confirm that the research presented is primarily the student’s own work and that participation by other authors is secondary or advisory in nature.
- Students graduating after the last conference and who are not currently students are eligible for student awards but must submit appropriate certifiction from their former academic supervisor.
All award winners will receive a free ticket to the biennial banquet.
Student Travel Grants
Stu Innes Memorial Student Travel Bursary
1. Doctoral includes those in PhD, DVM, etc. programs.
2. Pre-Doctoral includes undergraduates and those in Masters programs.