The Society for Marine Mammalogy is the world’s premier marine mammal science organization with members from 25 countries. Membership in the Society gives you full access to the Society’s Marine Mammal Science Journal, exclusive biannual conference discounts and direct access to the full directory of members.
Once a member, you can always renew online.
Please join us!
Depending on level of membership, members can receive:
- Subscription to the peer-reviewed journal Marine Mammal Science (MMS) published quarterly online by Wiley;
- Participation in our international biennial conferences on the biology of marine mammals at the reduced member’s registration fee rate, including the 22th Biennial Conference in Halifax, Nova Scotia in October 2017:
- A 25% discount on all Wiley-Blackwell products;
- Eligibility for conference travel grants to PIs in developing and soft-currency nations;
- Voting privileges;
- Rights to run for elective office on the Board of Governors;
- The ability to help guide the development of the field of marine mammal science by serving on standing and ad hoc Society committees such as the Ethics, Conservation, Scientific Advisory, Education, or Taxonomy Committees;
- The ability to raise important marine mammal issues of concern for timely action by the Society for Marine Mammalogy through the Presidential Letter process;
- As student members, access to peers through regional student chapters, and exposure to the top scientists in the field of marine mammal science;
- The opportunity for participation in the great tradition of scientific societies by being part of the organized dialogue of science that has existed at least since the founding of the Royal Society in England. The first issue (1665) of their journal, Philosophical Transactions, defined characteristics of Society members as those whose “desires after solid and useful knowledge may be further entertained, ingenious endeavours and undertakings cherished, and those addicted to and conversant in such matters, may be invited and encouraged to search, try, and find out new things, impart their knowledge to one another, and contribute what they can to the grand design of improving natural knowledge.”
- All membership categories are for individuals, and are not transferable.
- The Society does not refund memberships under any circumstances.
- Please direct member queries to Chris Parsons, Membership Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Society for Marine Mammalogy does not share, sell or distribute information about our members with any other institution (commercial or otherwise), for any purpose. On very rare occasions, the Society will rent on a one-time-use-only basis its membership directory address list to publishers that wish to advertise a new publication the Society believes would be of interest to its membership. Note: e-mail addresses are NOT included with the shared information.
1 The International Monetary Fund identifies all countries except the following as emerging and developing countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong SAR, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, and United States.